A Machine Readable passport is a passport where the personal details of the passport holder are not only printed in a way that can be read by the naked eye, but also encoded in a machine readable zone on the passport where they could be read by a machine or a computer.
The MRP is being issued by the Philippine Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA), in compliance with the requirements of the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), a specialized agency of the United Nations promoting the safety and orderly development of civil aviation throughout the world. The 188 contracting states of the ICAO, including the
In addition, the MRP has superior security features compared to the green passports, which virtually eliminates the possibility of identity theft and acts of fraud. To ensure this, all passport applications are processed at the main office at the Philippines International Convention Center (PICC) in
Applications received by the Philippine Foreign Service Posts abroad will be sent to the main office in
PERSONAL APPEARANCE FOR ALL will be required for data verification, finger-printing and signature capture. Applications by mail will no longer be accepted.
In view of this, we urge Filipinos, especially who are not yet in a hurry to travel to start applying for Machine Readable Passports as early as possible. Acceptance of applications will be from to For appointments, please call Ms. Tess Villanueva at tel. no. (213) 637-3005.
In addition to the transit time, the following requirements are needed for Philippine MRP applications accepted in the
NEW PHOTO REQUIREMENTS:
- Background – ROYAL BLUE
- Size – 4.5 cm X 3.5 cm
- Pose – image of applicant is 70 – 80% of the photograph
- Straight frontal shot (no tilting of head)
- "Medium" smile is allowed
- Collared shirt / decent attire
- Both ears visible
- Prescription eye-glasses allowed, provided there is no glare
- Head scarf / veil for religious or health reasons allowed
Photos can be rejected for the following reasons:
- Distorted image – head is tilted or smile is too wide
- Women – excessive makeup, large earrings
- Men – wearing makeup, earrings
- Colored contact lenses
- Use of headgear other than scarf / veil for religious or health reasons
- Use of dark eyeglasses / shades
- Photos with "red-eye" effect
- Dirty photos / poor photo quality / poor or uneven lighting
- Digitally altered photos (rendered with Photoshop or other imaging programs) / unnatural skin tones
The MRPs will be issued by the Philippine Consulate General at no additional cost to the applicants. The new maroon MRPs issued in the
Furthermore, even after the roll out of the new Machine Readable Passports, valid green Philippine passports will still be honored as bonafide travel documents until they expire.
Please check the website of the Philippine Department of Foreign Affairs at www.dfa.gov.
A Press Relase by the LA Consulate